Back Pain: Common Misconceptions, Rehabilitation and Living Pain Free
Pain: Common Misconceptions, Rehabilitation and Living Pain Free
At some point in our lives we all suffer from an ache or pain in our back. There are are a number of contributing factors that can cause people to complain of back pain.
Take a look at what we do on a daily basis; from sitting for hours at a desk, commuting to and from work in our cars, to staring down at our phones. We are constantly adopting poor posture so it’s no surprise our backs are suffering. Severe trauma such as injuries sustained in car accidents and falls can also cause us pain in the lower back and through the spine months or even years after the trauma occurred. The build up of scar tissue around these areas may have a contributing factor to the pain and can cause tension in the surrounding muscles. Sometimes the pain can be from a traumatic situation like a crash but the majority of clients we see develop back pain from things like muscular imbalance, poor posture, inactivity and a lack of mobility.
First thing’s first, you DON’T have to live with chronic pain, there are things you can do. So let’s talk about how to address the pain.
- See an expert who can help you build a program or health care regime that will help you feel better. This could be in the form of a Personal Trainer, a Physiotherapist, Chiropractor, Massage Therapist or Osteopath who has knowledge in the area, who can assess your body and put together a program to help improve your situation.
- Start moving your body! Get up from your desk often, take a walk every day, stretch your hips, foam roll your quads, join a yoga class…make sure what you choose is appropriate and okay’d by a doctor if needed. Working on your posture, strengthening your muscular imbalances and increasing your flexibility will help!
- Don’t forget it takes looking at the whole picture to find a permanent solution. Your body is like your car…you have to keep it running or it may get a little rusty, you need to take it for regular maintenance and you have to fuel it properly! So don’t forget to look at everything as a whole when trying to solve one piece of the puzzle 🙂
How Can We Help?
We are big on rehabilitation at the Fitness Junction which is why we offer two excellent 30 min classes which focus on minimizing pain in the back, neck and hips. Our Back& Core and Glutes classes are each 30 mins long, are great for beginners as well as challenging for veteran exercisers and they will…
- Address muscular imbalances
- Improve posture
- Strengthen weak spots through isolation exercises
- Help you to know what to do to reduce your specific pain
Take control of your pain and stop suffering. We hope to see you out in a class very soon (the first one’s free so join today!